I’ve been loving Kate’s recent “Friday Top 3” idea for a couple of reasons: 1) Choosing three things per category keeps things simple, forces me to choose and challenges my over-wordy desire to include all.the.things. And 2) It reminds me of a “game” I play called “Rose, Bud, Thorn.” I like to ask my friends/family what their rose (favorite part), thorn (hardest part) and bud (either something they learned or are excited for coming up) in their past week was. I think it is important to acknowledge what we found hard as well as what made us smile, because it enables us to reflect on what lessons we may have learned and gives us credit for getting through it – however we may have done so.
So I’m excited to finally have TIME to join in this budding little party. Thanks Kate!
Top 3 Eats
1. My Chocolate Quinoa Breakast Bake. Can’t. Stop. Won’t. Stop. So. Freaking. Good. I need to get more pears.
2. This completely ugly but delicious comfort dinner. Mashed cauliflower (with garlic, salt and pepper), marinated pork chop and my Vegan Mushroom Gravy. These flavors totally exceeded my expectations.
3. Stuffed sweet potatoes. I’ve seriously had a baked sweet potato every day this week (not out of the norm actually). Stuffing them with whatever leftovers I have in the fridge has been my saving grace. This one – stuffed with tuna salad (made with greek yogurt, paprika, garlic, salt and pepper), steamed broccoli and cheese – made for a particularly yummy lunch.
I’m not sure what was more celebratory about these meals – their surprising success in the taste department, or the mere fact that I actually got to enjoy them at home and not from a tupperware!
Top 3 Highs
1. FINISHING MY 2ND TRAINING YEAR AT THE ACTING CONSERVATORY…. and…. being asked back next year (sorry for the screamo caps lock). This year was positively crazy. It was intense, grueling, personally and emotionally taxing, heart lifting, passionate, soul finding, soul searching, worrisome and gratifying all in one. I made it through, was not cut, and will be retuning next year for a season of 5 full length public performances.
2. The morning after. I thought I was going to be all “let’s party give me ALL THE WINE,” when I was officially done. But honestly, I was too bloody tired to feel much of anything. And with the craziness of the week and being around people all the time, I could feel my introverted self was really just needing alone time. The next morning it started to hit me. I spontaneously felt the desire to treat myself – so I decided to take myself out for a real coffee. The sun was beaming through the window and I just felt really calm and happy as I sat at my window seat slowly reading through blogs and sipping away.
PS this was my second full caf coffee in the last 2 weeks and unlike the last one, this one went down perfectly. Ahhhhhh.
Morning coffee and sunbeams, with no where to be.
3. Having a better meeting with the conservatory head faculty than I ever expected. I was totally surprised by the positive feedback I received. They said more than I could have ever hoped for. I’m so grateful, happy, and still just letting it sink in.
Top 3 Lows
1. Blegh. That feeling when you know you’ve done something wrong. I totally flaked out on a plan I had with a friend. I thought it wasn’t a big deal and really felt it was what I wanted in the moment, but it was obvious he was let down or miffed. It really wasn’t cool of me and – well deserved on my part – I still feel really, really crappy. So this was a lesson to not do this. I really need to make it up to him this week.
2. Anger. I got really angry after one of my full days at the beginning of the week. I tried to reach out to my mother about why I was angry, but she did not give me the response I needed to hear and didn’t seem to see it as the big deal I felt it was. So I ended up feeling really angry at her – as well. This is a reminder that I need to speak to my mother about the type of consoling that is helpful in these situations.
3. Buying a whole bag of spinach when I forgot I had just bought one the day before. Hate food and money waste. But isn’t it nice that this was the only third low I could think of?
Top 3 Instagram Finds
Now that I’m starting to experience this again…
Baked Sweet Potato, Fried Egg, Chicken Sausage, Kraut = my heaven in a meal
Reminding me of Suz’s post from Tuesday
Top 3 Article Finds
1. “Can We Be Honest For a Second.” – Alison Leipzig
“….We become afraid to look at the ways we show up in our lives. We are afraid to see parts of ourselves that aren’t so beautiful….” But we all have parts of ourselves we aren’t proud of. How much good does it do to try and ignore them?
Really great, professional personality quizzes – great for relationships and attachment styles.
3. Perfection Coins – Rachel W. Cole
Taking the risk – trading in those perfection coins for a life of love and freedom instead
Friday Top 3 was fun! I’m going to pop in with Heather, too for Friday Favorites. Here’s to a fabulous weekend!
What was a top high and a top low from your week?
Popping in here for a real old-school What I Ate Wednesday (er, Monday…